All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<i>The Globe's Emigrating Children</i> describes one teacher's experiences teaching twenty-four immigrant students during their first year in the United States. From diverse places including Vietnam, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Mexico, El Salvador, and Haiti, these children brought their many languages and cultures to a first grade sheltered English classroom in a large urban school district. Kathleen A. Stark's thoughts and conversations with her students and her struggles to address each of the children's emotional and learning needs - while guiding them to recognize and question the assumptions of the world around them - provide a much-needed, intimate look into the lives and education of immigrant children. Stark's beautifully written reflections about the teacher's role and the role of education in general are supremely original, honest, and thought-provoking. This book should be read by any teacher involved in such areas as immigration, early childhood theory, literacy, foreign language education, and critical pedagogy. It is also suited to pre-service college courses devoted to these topics.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Kathleen A. Stark taught French immersion in urban San Diego for fourteen years and sheltered English in Kansas City for five years. She has a B.A. in French literature from the University of California, Davis, and a bilingual teaching credential for Spanish from San Diego State University. She also has two master's degrees from the Harvard Graduate School of Education in psychology and human development, and in language and literacy. She earned ELL (English Language Learning) certification at the University of Missouri, and reading teacher's certification at the University of Wisconsin.
- Author(s)Kathleen A. Stark
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleRethinking Childhood
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.