All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMiriam Margolyes, Alison Steadman and Nigel Planer star in Sue Limb's comedy parodying the arty and adulterous adventures of the Bloomsbury Group. A stellar cast, including Roger Lloyd-Pack, Morwenna Banks, Jonathan Coy and John Sessions, join in this affectionate send-up of the infamous Bloomsbury literary group, who dominated the English cultural scene in the early 20th Century. The series follows the fortunes of Vera Sackcloth-Vest - writer, gardener and transvestite - and her urge to escape from the tranquillity of the rather cramped little castle in Kent which she shares with her doting but ambiguous husband, who is 'something in the Foreign Office'. Vera's heart is forever surging with exotic passion, either for Ginny Fox, a highly-strung velist who adores her, or the beautiful but shallow Venus Traduces. As the scene shifts from Kent to London, and Cornwall to Monaco, this close-knit coterie is divided by misunderstandings, jealousies and rows, whilst the colourfully chaotic characters are joined by such sort-of familiar figures as DH Lollipop, TS Jellitot and Sigmund Void.
- Author BiographySue Limb is a British writer and broadcaster. She is the co-author of a biography of the Antarctic explorer Captain Lawrence Oates. Her work includes novels - many of them for young adults - and a sitcom for ITV television and BBC Radio 4, Up the Garden Path. For Radio 4, she has written a number of comedy series: The Wordsmiths at Gorsemere , The Sit Crom, Four Joneses and a Jenkins and Alison and Maud; and also Growing Pains (a documentary about ageing), Hilaire Belloc, and Cities (six programmes of literary anthology). Under the name Dulcie Domum, Limb wrote Bad Housekeeping, a humorous weekly column in The Guardian's Guardian Weekend section between 1988 and 2001. Collections of the columns, a feminist novelist's diaries of a rural idyll gone wrong, were republished in book form. In 2012 she wrote the Radio 4 series Gloomsbury starring Miriam Margoyles and Alison Steadman.
- Author(s)Sue Limb
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication16/07/2015
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight229 g
- Width138 mm
- Height141 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Read byAlison Steadman,Full Cast,Miriam Margolyes
- Contained items statement9 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time540
- Edition StatementLittle Brother
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.50
- AU $21.62Trending at AU $24.58
- AU $13.67Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.18
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.32
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.30
- AU $21.69Trending at AU $23.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.