All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $61.13Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionNothing but the darkness, and all around them destruction, and before them thing but the fire--a bastard people, far from God, singing and crying in the wilderness! First published in 1953, Baldwin's first vel is a short but intense, semi-autobiographical exploration of the troubled life of the Grimes family in Harlem during the Depression.
- Author BiographyBorn in Harlem in 1924, Baldwin had an early career as a teenage preacher. He lived in Paris from 1948-1956 and his first novels, the autobiographical GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN and GIOVANNI'S ROOM established him as a promising novelist and anticipated some of the themes of his later works, such as racism and sexuality. He became a prominent spokesperson for racial equality, especially during the civil rights movement. He lived in France during his last years. Baldwin died in 1987.
- Author(s)James Baldwin
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication04/10/2001
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight202 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Introduction byAndrew O'Hagan
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.