All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $43.67Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume compares the courtroom oaths of both Islamic and modern Egyptian legal systems, blending elements of legal history, comparative law, theology, philosophy and culture. Until w, academic research has paid little attention to the subject of the courtroom oath in the Islamic or Egyptian legal systems. As such, it might appear as if modern legislation in the Arab world on this subject forms the natural continuation of Islamic law, or that there are significant differences between these two legal approaches. This unique study seeks to rectify this impression by examining the institution of the courtroom oath on the basis of three criteria: Islamic law, which discusses the oath in the context of the judicial proceeding, including debate between different schools and interpreters; the sources and approach of Arab law on this subject; and, lastly, the core of this book - a detailed legal comparison between the Islamic oath and the Arab oath. In itself, this is a study in legal history examining the origins, character, sources,and doctrines of the oath in Arab law and at the same time, it is a comparative study of Islamic and contemporary Arab law in this field.
- Author BiographyGuy Bechor, LL.B. MA, Ph.D, is the head of the Middle Eastern Studies Division, Lauder School of Government, Strategy and Diplomacy, The Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya, Israel, and a visiting fellow at the School of Law, the Islamic Legal Studies Program, Harvard University. He is the author of The Sanhuri Code, and the Emergence of Modern Arab Civil Law (1932 to 1949) (Brill, 2007).
- Author(s)Guy Bechor
- Date of Publication23/12/2011
- Languageeng, ara
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies in Islamic Law & Society
- Series Part/Volume Number34
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight836 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.