All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.50Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $37.52
About this product
- DescriptionContemporary Christianity is afflicted with two problems: First, our spiritual life is often bland and lukewarm. Distracted and fragmented by our lives, and malurished on conventional piety, we feel out of touch with the God described in the Bible as a consuming fire. Second, we don't kw how to make sense of suffering, especially the pain of spiritual darkness and aridity. The answer to both of these problems is passion. In God in the Dark, Susan Pitchford explores the two faces of passion:desire, the mutual attraction between the soul and God; and suffering, especially our confusion and grief when we find ourselves in dark places. We often misinterpret times of darkness, assuming we've fabled and God has abandoned us. Pitchford suggests that darkness is t a place of abandonment but a place of intimacy and a special call to a deeper relationship with the God who desires us. Once we understand this, we will t have to fear the dark, and when the night closes in around us, we can experience it as an embrace.
- Author BiographySusan Pitchford is a senior lecturer in sociology at the University of Washington and a professed member of the Third Order, Society of St. Francis. She is the author of Following Francis: The Franciscan Way for Everyone and Identity Tourism: Imaging and Imagining the Nation. Susan lives in Seattle with her husband, Bob Crutchfield, and her golden retriever, Abby.
- Author(s)Susan Pitchford
- PublisherLiturgical Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCollegeville, MN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiturgical Press
- Weight367 g
- Width137 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Foreword byAlan Jones
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.