Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $29.61
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.47
- AU $44.16Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $19.45Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $45.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn God's Battalions, award-winning author Rodney Stark takes on the long-held view that the Crusades were the first round of European colonialism, conducted for land, loot, and converts by barbarian Christians who victimized the cultivated Muslims. To the contrary, Stark argues that the Crusades were the first military response to unwarranted Muslim terrorist aggression.Stark reviews the history of the seven major Crusades from 1095 to 1291, demonstrating that the Crusades were precipitated by Islamic provocations, centuries of bloody attempts to colonize the West, and sudden attacks on Christian pilgrims and holy places. Although the Crusades were initiated by a plea from the pope, Stark argues that this had thing to do with any elaborate design of the Christian world to convert all Muslims to Christianity by force of arms. Given current tensions in the Middle East and terrorist attacks around the world, Stark's views are a thought-provoking contribution to our understanding and are sure to spark debate.
- Author BiographyRodney Stark is Distinguished Professor of the Social Sciences at Baylor University, where he is codirector of the Institute for Studies of Religion. He is founding editor of the Interdisciplinary Journal of Research on Religion, a senior research fellow at the Institute for Jewish and Community Research, and an honorary professor of sociology at Beijing University. He has authored over thirty books on the history and sociology of religion, including The Rise of Christianity; Cities of God; For the Glory of God, which won the 2004 Award of Merit for History/Biography from Christianity Today; Discovering God, which won the 2008 Award of Merit for Theology/Ethics from Christianity Today; and The Victory of Reason. David Drummond has made his living as an actor for over twenty-five years, appearing on stages large and small throughout the country and in Seattle, Washington, his hometown. He has narrated over sixty audiobooks for Tantor, in genres ranging from current political commentary to historical nonfiction, from fantasy to military, and from thrillers to humor. He received an AudioFile Earphones Award for his first audiobook, Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay. When not narrating, David keeps busy writing plays and stories for children.
- Author(s)Rodney Stark
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication21/12/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)David Drummond
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time480
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.