All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.46
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.66
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.62
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.98
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $98.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.03
About this product
- DescriptionOn a fateful day in 1964, legendary journalist Alistair Cooke was dragged into Van Cortlandt Park in New York City to play his first game of golf and was immediately hooked. Golf became his greatest passion, even though he called it a method of self-torture, disguised as a game. Few have written more brilliantly or more lovingly about golf than he does here in this collection. For the first time, Golf gathers together the best of Cooke's writing on what he called the marvelous mania. This stunning collection showcases the incomparable wit and mischievous charm that made Cooke one of the greatest journalists and broadcasters and one of the most effective interpreters of the American way of life to the world (New York Times) of the twentieth century. Whether it is Arld Palmer playing in 102-degree heat in San Antonio; dapper Gary Player winning the US Open at Creve Coeur, Missouri; or Jack Nicklaus playing--and winning--almost everywhere, Alistair Cooke on his favorite sport is a rare and constant pleasure. This is a book golfer--pro or amateur--should go without. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Sports Publishing imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in sports--books about baseball, pro football, college football, pro and college basketball, hockey, or soccer, we have a book about your sport or your team. Whether you are a New York Yankees fan or hail from Red Sox nation; whether you are a die-hard Green Bay Packers or Dallas Cowboys fan; whether you root for the Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, UCLA Bruins, or Kansas Jayhawks; whether you route for the Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, or Los Angeles Kings; we have a book for you. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to publishing books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked by other publishers and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyAlistair Cooke was a British American journalist and TV personality who gained world renown for his peerless journalism on every facet of American culture, politics, and life. Cooke hosted PBS's Masterpiece Theatre for twenty-two years and was known internationally for his weekly BBC broadcast Letter from America, which ran for fifty-eight years and was broadcast in fifty-two countries. He died in 2004 in New York City. Jack Nicklaus is a professional American golfer famous for winning eighteen career major championships over twenty-four years. He is also known as The Golden Bear and competed in his last tournament in 2005. He lives in North Palm Beach, Florida. Jerry Tarde is the chairman and editor in chief of Golf Digest, a position he has held for twenty-five years. He is also the chairman and editorial director of Golf Digest Publications. He lives in New York City, New York.
- Author(s)Alistair Cooke
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication19/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcade Publishing
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byJack Nicklaus
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.