All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Step back to an English village in 1255, where life plays out in dramatic vignettes illuminating twenty-two unforgettable characters.</b> Maidens, monks, and millers sons in these pages, readers will meet them all. There s Hugo, the lord s nephew, forced to prove his manhood by hunting a wild boar; sharp-tongued Nelly, who supports her family by selling live eels; and the peasant s daughter, Mogg, who gets a clever lesson in how to save a cow from a greedy landlord. There s also mud-slinging Barbary (and her ble victim); Jack, the compassionate half-wit; Alice, the singing shepherdess; and many more. With a deep appreciation for the period and a grand affection for both characters and audience, Laura Amy Schlitz creates twenty-two riveting portraits and linguistic gems equally suited to silent reading or performance. Illustrated with pen-and-ink drawings by Robert Byrd inspired by the Munich-Nuremberg manuscript, an illuminated poem from thirteenth-century Germany this witty, historically accurate, and utterly human collection forms an exquisite bridge to the people and places of medieval England.
- Author BiographyLaura Amy Schlitz is the author of THE HERO SCHLIEMANN: THE DREAMER WHO DUG FOR TROY and A DROWNED MAIDEN'S HAIR. She wrote the pieces in GOOD MASTERS! SWEET LADIES! for students at the Park School in Baltimore, where she works as a librarian. She has also worked as a storyteller, a costumer, an actress, and a playwright; her plays for young people have been produced in theaters all over the country. Laura Amy Schlitz lives in Baltimore. Robert Byrd teaches children s book illustration at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. He is the author-illustrator of many books, including LEONARDO: BEAUTIFUL DREAMER; FINN MACCOUL AND HIS FEARLESS WIFE; and THE HERO AND THE MINOTAUR. He also illustrated Laura Amy Schlitz s first book for children, THE HERO SCHLIEMANN, about the life of a nineteenth-century amateur archaeologist. Robert Byrd lives in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
- Author(s)Laura Amy Schlitz
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/02/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width179 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Illustrator(s)Robert Byrd
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $89.29Trending at AU $102.55
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $49.72Trending at AU $53.97
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.87
- AU $10.00Trending at AU $11.94
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.69
- AU $8.88Trending at AU $12.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.