All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1948, Gordon Parks began his professional relationship with Life magazine that would last twenty-two years. For his first project, he proposed a series of pictures about the gang wars that were then plaguing Harlem, believing that if he could draw attention to the problem then perhaps it would be addressed through social programs or government intervention. As a result of his efforts, Parks gained the trust of one particular group of gang members and their leader, Leonard Red Jackson, and produced a series of pictures of them that are artful, emotive, poignant, touching, and sometimes shocking. From this larger body of work, twenty-one pictures were selected for reproduction in a graphic and adventurous layout in Life magazine. At each step of the selection process as Parks chose each shot, or as the picture editors at Life re-selected from his selection any intended narrative was complicated by ather curatorial voice. Featuring contact sheets, proof prints and the published Life article, Gordon Parks: The Making of an Argument traces this editorial process and parses out the various voices and motives behind the production of the picture essay.
- Author(s)Gordon Parks,Russell Lord,Susan M. Taylor
- PublisherSteidl Publishers
- Date of Publication28/10/2013
- Place of PublicationGottingen
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSteidl Verlag
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1170 g
- Width257 mm
- Height292 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.33
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.16
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.21
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $46.07
- AU $49.28Trending at AU $65.48
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.15
- AU $35.63Trending at AU $50.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.