All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book addresses the issues and methods involved in governing risks posed by genetically modified (GM) agriculture. It examines the evolution of policies intended to ensure the safety of GM crops and food products in the United States and Europe and the regulatory approaches and other social controls employed to protect human health, the environment, conventional farming and foods, and the interests and rights of consumers. Discussion encompasses the cultural, political and ecomic forces that shape the design and application of the methods of risk governance, as well as other contextual features such as the influence of multinational companies seeking acceptance of their GM ventures. This discussion also examines the influence of the dynamic public discourse fostered by progressive concepts of risk governance and the approaches taken to meet its demands for transparency, public participation and appropriate consideration of public perceptions and values despite conflicting views of experts.
- Author BiographyMichael Baram is Professor Emeritus at Boston University School of Law. He is the author of seven books and more than 110 articles on the social control of hazardous technologies in the United States and Europe. His research, publications and legal and advisory activities have dealt with regulation, liability and industrial management of risks to public and worker health and safety and the environment in several technological sectors. Mathilde Bourrier is Professor of Sociology at the University of Geneva, Switzerland. She is the author of three books and has published numerous articles in international journals. Her research, publications and advisory activities deal with the social construction of safety, safety management and organizational reliability in medical, nuclear and other technological risk sectors.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/11/2010
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight500 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byMathilde Bourrier,Michael S. Baram
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.42Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.44Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.