Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- Description<i>The Adventures of Ibn Opcit </i>is a two-volume work by John Barr, first president of The Poetry Foundation.<i> Grace</i>, the first volume of this mock epic, is the master song of Ibn Opcit, a Caribbean gardener/poet condemned to die by torture. In a series of jailhouse mologues we hear him descant on justice, on creation, on America, on death and on life after death. In book two, <i>Opcit at Large</i>, the poet pushes back on his oppressors in three adventures. Like Virgil in the <i>Infer</i> he visits the afterworld of reincarnation in The Afterdammit; he struggles to survive as poet laureate to Africa s newest President for Life in Opcit en Afrique; he orbits earth as The Last Cosmonaut on the eve of the fall of the Soviet Union. He comes home with the dignity and strength of one who has survived and prevailed.
- Author BiographyThe poems of John Barr have appeared in many magazines and have been published in seven previous collections: <i>The War Zone</i> (1989), <i>Natural Wonders</i> (1991), <i>The Dial Painters</i> (1994), <i>Centennial Suite</i> (1997), all by Warwick Press; <i>The Hundred Fathom Curve</i> (1997) and <i>Grace</i> (1999), by Story Line Press; and <i>The Hundred Fathom Curve: New & Collected Poems </i>(2011) by Red Hen Press. Barr has served on the boards of the Poetry Society of America, Yaddo, and Bennington College, the latter as chairman. He has taught in the graduate writing program of Sarah Lawrence College, and was appointed in 2004 the first president of The Poetry Foundation, publisher of <i>Poetry</i> magazine. He lives in Chicago and New York. <i>The Adventures of Ibn Opcit</i> is his eighth collection.
- Author(s)John Gorman Barr
- PublisherRed Hen Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleAdventures of Ibn Opcit
- Series Part/Volume Number01
- Place of PublicationPasadena
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRed Hen Press
- Weight204 g
- Width155 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.