Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Graded School Arithmetic, Vol. 2: An Elementary Text for Use in Public and Private Schools, From the Fifth to the Eight Year, Inclusive Text-books on arithmetic have been criticised by teachers and school supervisors for several reasons, among which are the following - 1. They contain unnecessary matter, by giving undue emphasis to impractical topics. 2. The gradation and pedagogical presentation of the subject is often made secondary to the logical arrangement of the material. 3. The many subdivisions of arithmetic, arising from the multitude of applications, often lead to a confused conception of the subject as a whole. Emphasis should be given rather to the few principles of relation, than to an extensive outline of subjects. 4. There is often too much discussion, and too little work. 5. Arithmetic is often considered as something apart from algebra and geometry, and effort is made in the grammar grades to show its proper relation to those subjects. 6. The subject has too little relation to business life. The Graded School Arithmetic, Book Two, has been prepared to meet the above-named criticisms. 1. But little emphasis has been given to compound and annual interest, partial payments, foreign exchange, solid mensuration, and other topics, and thus much unnecessary matter has been eliminated. 2. The matter has been presented with a view to the gradual development of the pupil's mental power. 3. The several topics are related by the emphasis given to common principles. For example, Ratio and Simple Proportion are introduced before Percentage and Interest, because the principles of Ratio and Proportion are fundamental to the operations of Percentage and Interest. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Frank J Browne
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.