All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.45Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionThis book reviews the role of bioactive compounds in grape seed and their beneficial effects. Among the 11 chapters, the authors also discuss the composition, biological activity, and potential applications of grape seeds in the food industry and the health effects of grape seed extracts. As in other matrices, the presence of bioactive molecules in grape seed is related to several factors like grape varieties, climatic and soil conditions, vinification processes, winemaking procedures, extraction techniques and finally evaluation protocols. Chapter 1 addresses the extraction methodologies to obtain biomolecules of interest from grape seed, from the conventional to the most invative. Chapter 2 discusses the most important and used methods to evaluate the antioxidant capacity of grape seed. Chapter 3 is focused on how flavoids could modulate the body homeostasis acting directly on the gastrointestinal tract, explaining their effects on obesity-related pathologies. Chapter 4, using liquid chromatographic and mass detection techniques, centers on flavals, one of the most important types of polyphels occurring in grape seed. Chapter 5 complements Chapter 2 in evaluating total antioxidant capacity considering that antioxidant activity is usually due to different antioxidants present in grape seed. Chapter 6 studies the effects of polyphelic extracts in arterial hypertension and oxidative stress via glutathione-peroxidase. Chapter 7 revises the antioxidant properties of grape seed in the conservation of different meat products and dose effect to increasing the shelf life of these products. Chapter 8 shows the potential application of developing new products with healthier characteristics to garner greater consumer acceptance using grape seed in their formulations. Chapter 9 provides a review of the composition and nutritional value of the majority compounds (fatty acid, ami acid and mineral profile), showing the potential application of the use of grape seed as a food supplement to improve the human diet. Chapter 10 indicates the potent antimicrobial activity of grape seed extract against many different microorganisms due to the presence of flavan-3-ols, inhibiting their growth, and potential applications in the food or pharmaceutical industries or even in the medical field. Chapter 11 is focused on the potential use of bioactive compounds in grape seed extract as a remedy against lipid oxidation of meat products.
- Author BiographyDaniel Franco has a Master in Chemical Engineering and Ph.D in Chemist Science from university of Santiago of Compostela in 2002. During the doctorate stage he acquired extensive knowledge of solid-liquid extraction from food matrix, as well as about near-infrared spectroscopy and liquid chromatography. From 2003 to 2005, he worked as a technologist in the Marine Research Institute of Vigo. During this time he acquired skills focused on the management of R & D and technology transfer for SMEs. From 2005 to 2009 he obtained a post-doctoral position on Department of Animal Production of Agricultural Research Center of Mabegondo. During this time he obtained experience in the field of animal production, mainly focused on cattle and methodological aspects of meat quality such as determination of texture parameters, sensorial and nutritional analysis (fatty acid and amino acid profiles) by GC-FID and HPLC-FLD. From 2009 to today he joined to Meat Technology Centre where he is head of physicochemical lab. During this time he has been Senior Researcher of several projects of R & D and innovation related to meat science and technology. Published more than 70 scientific articles in indexed international journals (SCI) related to meat science and technology and published more than 110 communications to congresses, mostly international.
- PublisherNova Science Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNova Science Publishers Inc
- Weight676 g
- Width180 mm
- Height260 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.