All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionGrassroots Social Security in Asia investigates the role of mutual associations in providing income protection to low-income people in Asia and in particular the region's developing countries. Historically, these associations have consisted of small groups of people with common interests who save regularly to support, maintain and supplement their incomes. Members make regular contributions to a communal fund which is used to provide income protection when they experience financial hardship. This book is the first to comprehensively document the activities of mutual associations and their microinsurance programs in Asia where these programs are especially well developed. It provides a number of important case studies that provide detailed information about mutual associations in different parts of the region, covering South Asia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Mongolia, Indonesia and the Philippines. The case studies offer important insights into the potential of mutual associations to offer effective income protection and how their activities can contribute to the formulation of comprehensive and effective grassroots social security strategies in the developing world that make a tangible contribution to the goal of poverty eradication and the improvement of standards of living. This book will be of interest to policy makers, academics and students in the fields of Asian studies, Social security studies and development studies.
- Author BiographyJames Midgley is the Harry and Riva Specht Professor of Public Social Services at the School of Social Welfare at the University of California, Berkeley, USA. Mitsuhiko Hosaka is Professor and Dean of the Graduate School of International Social Development, Nihon Fukushi University in Japan.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/02/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleRoutledge Research on Public and Social Policy in Asia
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJames Midgley,Mitsuhiko Hosaka
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.