All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThe Grateful Dead rose out of San Francisco's '60s underground rock scene with an unprecedented sound and image. Its members, steeped in rock, folk, classical, and blues; their instrumental prowess; and their refusal to bow to commercial conventions helped originate jam band music. Unapologetic in its advocacy of drug use as a means toward mind expansion, the Dead helped catapult psychedelic music. After performing at the Monterey International Pop Festival and Woodstock, the group became iconic without ever scoring a hit single. A large, devoted fan base - Deadheads - began to follow the band everywhere. The group suffered a tragedy when bandleader Jerry Garcia slipped into a coma in 1986, but returned the next year with a top-selling album and surprise hit single, Touch of Grey. By 1993, the Dead was the top-grossing live act in the United States. The band ended when Garcia died in 1995, but the music lives on with a stream of live releases. In Grateful Dead FAQ, Tony Sclafani examines the band's impact and influence on rock music and pop culture. This book ventures into unexplored areas and features a host of rare images, making it a must-have for both Deadheads and casual fans.
- Author BiographyTONY SCLAFANI is a journalist and a regular contributor to NBC online (formerly MSNBC/Today Show.com). He has also written for the Washington Post and its free daily, Express, as well as Relix, the Village Voice, Harp (now Blurt), the Washington City Paper, Hittin' the Note, Pop Matters, Record Collector, and DC Magazine. He is a longtime fan of '60s psychedelic music and the Grateful Dead.
- Author(s)Tony Sclafani
- PublisherHal Leonard Corporation
- Date of Publication29/10/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleFAQ Series
- Place of PublicationMilwaukee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBackbeat Books
- Content NoteBlack and White Photos Throughout
- Weight599 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.