All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRichly illustrated with the images from observatories on the ground and in space, and computer simulations, this book shows how black holes were discovered, and discusses our current understanding of their role in cosmic evolution. This second edition covers new discoveries made in the past decade, including definitive proof of a black hole at the center of the Milky Way, evidence that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating, and the new appreciation of the connection between black holes and galaxy formation. There are entirely new chapters on gamma-ray bursts and cosmic feedback. Begelman and Rees blend theoretical arguments with observational results to demonstrate how both approaches contributed to this subject. Clear illustrations and photographs reveal the strange and amazing workings of our universe. The engaging style makes this book suitable for introductory undergraduate courses, amateur astromers, and all readers interested in astromy and physics.
- Author BiographyMitchell Begelman is Chairman of the Department of Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences and Fellow of JILA, at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has won several awards, including the Guggenheim Fellowship, Sloan Research Fellowship, and the American Astronomical Society Warner Prize. Martin Rees is President of the Royal Society, Astronomer Royal and Master of Trinity College, Cambridge. He is the foremost astronomer in the UK, a winner of the Gold Medal of the Royal Society, and has written several books on physics for a general audience.
- Author(s)Martin Rees,Mitchell C. Begelman
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/12/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.37Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.50Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.