Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'It was w too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen w, and the world lay spread before me' A terrifying encounter with an escaped convict in a graveyard on the wild Kent marshes; a summons to meet the bitter, decaying Miss Havisham and her beautiful, cold-hearted ward Estella; the sudden generosity of a mysterious benefactor -- these form a series of events that change the orphaned Pip's life forever, and he eagerly abandons his humble origins to begin a new life as a gentleman. Dickens's haunting late vel depicts Pip's education and development through adversity as he discovers the true nature of his 'great expectations'. This definitive edition uses the text from the first published edition of 1861. It includes a map of Kent in the early nineteenth century, and appendices on Dickens's original ending and his working tes, giving readers an illuminating glimpse into the mind of a great velist at work.
- Author BiographyCharles Dickens (1812-70) was a political reporter and journalist whose popularity was established by the phenomenally successful Pickwick Papers (1836-7). His novels captured and held the public imagination over a period of more than thirty years. David Trotter is Quain Professor of English Language and Literature and Head of Department at University College London. Charlotte Mitchell is Lecturer in English at University College London.
- PrizesRunner-up for The BBC Big Read Top 100 2003 and The BBC Big Read Top 21 2003. Shortlisted for BBC Big Read Top 100 2003.
- Author(s)Charles Dickens
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notechronology, notes
- Weight364 g
- Width181 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byCharlotte Mitchell
- Introduction byDavid Trotter
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.50
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.88
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.11
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.