All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo one kws the maritime history of the Northeast any better than Jeremy D'Entremont, and with this small volume he begins a series of histories about the shipwrecks, lighthouses, and sea heroes of New England. The book begins with the hurricane of 1635, one of the worst recorded hurricanes in regional history, and the ship Angel Gabriel, which sank at anchor off of Pemaquid during the hurricane. Other accounts include a 1710 wreck at Boon Island which, in its day, was as sensational as Mutiny on the Bounty. Four men were killed and the remaining two dozen had to resort to extraordinary measures to survive. Also here are the Pebscot Expedition, America's worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor; a famous circus ship that foundered off Vinalhaven in 1836; and the mysterious explosion of a motorboat in 1941, which killed all 34 people on board. D'Entremont's authoritative history and skillful storytelling are illustrated by archival black-and-white photographs and etchings.
- Author BiographyJeremy D'Entremont has been writing about and photographing lighthouses for two decades. Webmaster of New England Lighthouses: A Virtual Guide at www.lighthouse.cc, he is founder and president of Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, a board member of the American Lighthouse Foundation, and a writer for Lighthouse Digest magazine. A native of Lynn, Massachusetts, he lives with his wife, Charlotte Raczkowski, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- Author(s)Jeremy D'Entremont
- PublisherCommonwealth Editions
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCommonwealth Editions
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight209 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.