Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.95+ AU $50.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.06
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a survey of the world of classical Greece, its origins and legacy. The book comprises nineteen chapters, written by leading scholars from around the world. It covers all the major themes of Ancient Greek history, set in the context of both the preceding and following periods. The book is organised into four main sections. It opens with discussions of the natural environment of the Greek peninsula and the surrounding islands. The second section then examines the history of the peoples of Greece up to the end of antiquity. It moves from the prehistoric and protohistoric periods, through the era of Bronze Age palace societies - including those of Kssos and Mycenae - surveying the thousand and more years until the transfer of the Roman imperial court from Rome to Constantiple.The third and longest part of the book deals with different aspects of the classical period, to give a kaleidoscopic picture of the most important elements in Greek life: the country, politics, religion, the spoken and written word, philosophy, art, craftsmanship and social behaviour. Finally, the book surveys the legacy of classical Greece, assessing its impact for western civilisation as a whole. The book is highly illustrated with over 100 plates and maps, and includes a timeline and guides for further reading. It is designed to be an ideal introduction to the subject for students and general readers alike.
- Author Biography<b>Brian A. Sparkes</b> received his training in classics and archaeology at Kings College London and at the British School of Archaeology at Athens. He has recently retired from the Chair of Classical Archaeology at the University of Southampton. His previous publications include <i> Greek Pottery: an Introduction </i> (1991) and <i> The Red and the Black: Studies in Greek Pottery </i> (1996).
- Author(s)Brian A Sparkes
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication10/12/1997
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight658 g
- Width180 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.