Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionThe Benaki collection in Athens is rewned as one of the most extensive of its kind in the world, spanning eight millennia of Greek history and prehistory. Through essays and exquisite objects, Greek treasures provides a fascinating insight into the life and beauty of the Greek world covering Hellenic antiquity, the transition from Graeco-Roman legacy to medieval Byzantium, the centuries it was under foreign rule, to the intellectual awakening and the struggle for the formation of the Greek nation. The objects include marble and clay figurines, ceramics, gold jewellery and statuary fragments from prehistoric to Roman times, artefacts, jewellery, painted icons, ecclesiastical metalware and embroidery from Byzantine and post-Byzantine periods, Neohellenic household embroideries, jewellery, costumes and ornate weapons, watercolours and oil paintings by European painters of the 19th century.
- Author BiographyElectra Georgoula is Head of the Exhibitions and Publications Department of the Benaki Museum, Athens, Greece. She has coordinated many international shows at the Benaki Museum and has organised the Benaki Museum's major touring exhibitions abroad. She has participated as manager, contributor or editor on several Benaki Museum publications and exhibition catalogues. Irini Papageorgiou is the Curator of the Prehistoric, Ancient Greek and Roman Collections at the Benaki Museum. Anastasia Drandaki is the Curator of the Byzantine Collection at the Benaki Museum. Anna Ballian is the Curator of the Islamic Collection and Post-Byzantine Metalwork at the Benaki Museum. Kate Synodinou is the Curator of Neo-Hellenic Culture and Art Collections at the Benaki Museum. Dimitris Arvanitakis is a historian and scientific collaborator of the Benaki Museum. Irini Papageorgiou, Anastasia Drandaki, Anna Ballian, Kate Synodinou, Dimitris Arvanitakis.
- PublisherPowerhouse Publishing
- Date of Publication01/05/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationHaymarket
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintPowerhouse Publishing
- Content NoteIncludes 164 colour illustrations
- Weight1262 g
- Width220 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byMs Electra Georgoul
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.