All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe conquests of Alexander the Great were followed by a flood of Greek migration into the lands previously ruled by Persia. In Egypt, thanks to the survival of collections of related documents written on papyrus, it is possible to study the fortunes of some of these immigrants and their families, and of some of their Egyptian neighbors, with an immediacy provided by other ancient source. In this book we see the engineer Kleon battling with problems of irrigation and silting, while the district officer Diophanes deals with disputes arising from the mutual hostility between two populations. Some Egyptians, such as Menkhes the village clerk and Panebkhounis the soldier, gain through their services some of the privileges enjoyed by the Greeks; the Greek cavalry officer Dryton, on the other hand, marries an Egyptian, and in the next generation his family begins to lose its Greek identity. These and other case studies compose a vivid picture of life in a country in which the native Egyptian population is dominated by a privileged and exclusive Greek mirity.
- Author BiographyNaphtali Lewis is Distinguished Professor (Emeritus) of Classical Studies in the City University of New York, and has been Visiting Professor at Yale University and the University of California (Santa Barbara). He is a fellow of the American Academy in Rome, a corresponding Fellow of the British Academy, and a past President of the International Association of Papyrologists. He is the author of 18 books and more than 150 articles published in scholarly journals internationally.
- Author(s)Naphtali Lewis
- PublisherAmerican Society of Papyrologists
- Date of Publication31/07/2001
- Series TitleClassics in Papyrology S.
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationCanton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Society of Papyrologists
- Content Notemaps
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $7.52Trending at AU $8.17
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.65
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.29
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.74
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $27.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.