All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the Great Depression, the St. Joe Company (formerly the St. Joe Paper Company) has been Florida's largest landowner, a forestry and transportation conglomerate that owns nearly one million acres, mainly in rthwestern Florida, where undeveloped coastal and riverside landscapes boast some of the state's most scenic and ecologically diverse areas. For 60 years, the company focused on lumber and paper production. In the late 1990s, the company shifted directions: it sold its paper mill, changed its name, and launched a concerted drive to turn its natural-resource assets into greater profits. Today the St. Joe Company is a critical and fiscally powerful force in the real-estate development of rthwest Florida, with access to the most influential people in government. Based on hundreds of sources, this factual and balanced history describes the St. Joe Company from the days of its founders to the workings and dealings of its present-day heirs. For anyone concerned with land use and growth management, particularly those with an interest in Florida's fragile wildlife and natural resources, Green Empire will illuminate the issues surrounding the relationship between one of the most ambitious players in Florida's real-estate market and the state's last frontier.
- Author BiographyKathryn Ziewitz is an environmental writer whose work has appeared in Sierra, Florida Naturalist, and High County News. June Wiaz has worked at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and for the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Author(s)June Wiaz,Kathryn Ziewitz
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note13 b&w photos, 5 maps, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight535 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.