All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPraise for the Second Edition This book is an excellent introduction to the wide field of boundary value problems. Journal of Engineering Mathematics No doubt this textbook will be useful for both students and research workers. Mathematical Reviews A new edition of the highly-acclaimed guide to boundary value problems, w featuring modern computational methods and approximation theory Green's Functions and Boundary Value Problems, Third Edition continues the tradition of the two prior editions by providing mathematical techniques for the use of differential and integral equations to tackle important problems in applied mathematics, the physical sciences, and engineering. This new edition presents mathematical concepts and quantitative tools that are essential for effective use of modern computational methods that play a key role in the practical solution of boundary value problems. With a careful blend of theory and applications, the authors successfully bridge the gap between real analysis, functional analysis, nlinear analysis, nlinear partial differential equations, integral equations, approximation theory, and numerical analysis to provide a comprehensive foundation for understanding and analyzing core mathematical and computational modeling problems. Thoroughly updated and revised to reflect recent developments, the book includes an extensive new chapter on the modern tools of computational mathematics for boundary value problems. The Third Edition features numerous new topics, including: * Nonlinear analysis tools for Banach spaces * Finite element and related discretizations * Best and near-best approximation in Banach spaces * Iterative methods for discretized equations * Overview of Sobolev and Besov space linear * Methods for nlinear equations * Applications to nlinear elliptic equations In addition, various topics have been substantially expanded, and new material on weak derivatives and Sobolev spaces, the Hahn-Banach theorem, reflexive Banach spaces, the Banach Schauder and Banach-Steinhaus theorems, and the Lax-Milgram theorem has been incorporated into the book. New and revised exercises found throughout allow readers to develop their own problem-solving skills, and the updated bibliographies in each chapter provide an extensive resource for new and emerging research and applications. With its careful balance of mathematics and meaningful applications, Green's Functions and Boundary Value Problems, Third Edition is an excellent book for courses on applied analysis and boundary value problems in partial differential equations at the graduate level. It is also a valuable reference for mathematicians, physicists, engineers, and scientists who use applied mathematics in their everyday work.
- Author BiographyIVAR STAKGOLD, PhD, is Professor Emeritus and former Chair of the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Delaware. He is former president of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), where he was also named a SIAM Fellow in the inaugural class of 2009. Dr. Stakgold's research interests include nonlinear partial differential equations, reaction-diffusion, and bifurcation theory. MICHAEL HOLST, PhD, is Professor in the Departments of Mathematics and Physics at the University of California, San Diego, where he is also CoDirector of both the Center for Computational Mathematics and the Doctoral Program in Computational Science, Mathematics, and Engineering. Dr. Holst has published numerous articles in the areas of applied analysis, computational mathematics, partial differential equations, and mathematical physics.
- Author(s)Ivar Stakgold,Michael J. Holst
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication08/03/2011
- Series TitlePure and Applied Mathematics: A Wiley Series of Texts, Monographs and Tracts
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1356 g
- Width164 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine50 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.