Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
About this product
- DescriptionGrinling Gibbons (1648 - 1721), the greatest of decorative woodcarvers, is seen in this study through the eyes of a fellow carver. His flamboyant cascades of lifelike blossoms, fruits, foliage, birds and fish dominated English interiors of the late seventeenth century - in royal palaces, churches and cathedrals, and great country houses. David Esterly's first-hand experience of limewood foliage carving gives him unprecedented insight into Gibbons's method and technique. Unique photographs illustrate these procedures, while spectacular interior shots show the carving in its original setting. Tools, workshop practice, materials and finishes are also discussed in detail.
- Author BiographyDavid Esterly is a professional limewood foliage carver in the Gibbons tradition, who played a key role in restoration work at Hampton Court Palace following the disastrous fire of 1986. He curated the V&A exhibition Grinling Gibbons and the Art of Carving (1998) and is the author of The Lost Carving (2012).
- Author(s)David Esterly
- PublisherV & A Publishing
- Date of Publication29/09/2000
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintV & A Publishing
- Content Note100 black and white, 70 colour illustrations
- Weight1059 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.