Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionGRITS FOR THE RIBS, True-life Stories and Selected Poems, is perceptive, imaginative and inspirational. Part memoir, part soulfully rhythmical . . . will fuel the imagination of everyone who reads it! This special book is filled with truth. Haven't we all met someone with real grit who when they got right down to the nitty gritty of it plugged away until achieving their goal? For Janet Anderson, a lot of that kind of inspiration came from Mud'ear, Big Mama, and Big Daddy Percy. The other kind came when they served farm fresh Mississippi-style buttered grits smothered with blackened catfish and new eggs from the hen house over-easy. This book is about that sort of encouragement. Like grits, it's designed to fortify, inspire, and stick to the ribs. Take a minute, still yourself and enjoy this gift Janet has shared. Your faith will be deepened, your heart warmed and your mind challenged. -CEO Phyllis Enzor, philanthropist The honesty of Janet Anderson's writing gives us a profound reminder that our futures, indeed our salvations, are undeniably linked to weighing our past. -Yvonne J. Combs, PhD GRITS FOR THE RIBS has passion. Janet Anderson has a beautiful sense of memory, which I very much admire. -Mike Bartanen, author Grits for the Ribs is uplifting, remarkable and revealing . . . memoir style and poetry. This book casts light on a certain enigmatic South during a pivotal era of history in the United States. One family effects change, while in pursuit of former President Franklin Dela Roosevelt's promise of a New Deal. There are also heartwarming real-life stories about phemenal folk, with irrepressible grit and resiliency of spirit, as well as testimony and poetry. This is a special book. We must all determine our good futures, and forge it as well, whatever obstacles life brings. Grits for the Ribs is sprinkled throughout with dreams and Wonder Bread, from fishing at La Push to throwing bumble bee bombs on Brother. It will illuminate, intrigue, hearten and, above all, fuel the imagination of everyone who reads it. Feel free to invite friends, ample helpings are available. These grits urish the soul.
- Author BiographyJANET ANDERSON was born in Prentiss, Mississippi, 1956 to two career military and civil-service workers - her mother served as an army nurse; her dad, his country. She is the eldest of two sisters and a brother. She is the author of GRITS FOR THE RIBS, and BIG DADDY PERCY. Growing up, Janet experienced many happy memories from traveling abroad and to various states, especially when her parents settled in the Puget Sound area where she now resides. A gift of helps with gigantic personality, much of the time Janet's imagination is on overdrive. She's a poet, music lover, Seven-up cake baker, clarinet player, doting grandmother, blossoming writer, and avid reader. Janet believes she's an introvert and is still amused when she puts herself in the position of an extrovert. The daughter of a church usher and choir member, Janet was practically raised on a hard wood church pew where she developed a fascination between the interplay of soulful call-and-response musical exegesis, and the black experience. These themes form the backdrop of her books. She is a graduate of Pacific Lutheran University, where she was recruited to help people achieve a confident retirement at her financial advisory practice located in Tacoma. Janet's recent work, including Grits for the Ribs and new book release of Big Daddy Percy marks her debut as an author. Anderson is currently at work on a new book of poetry as well.
- Author(s)Janet Anderson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication10/12/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMind, Body & Spirit: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.