All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
About this product
- DescriptionExisting and impending water shortages argue for improving water quantity and quality management. Groundwater Optimization Handbook: Flow, Contaminant Transport, and Conjunctive Management helps you formulate and solve groundwater optimization problems to ensure sustainable supplies of adequate quality and quantity. It shows you how to more effectively use simulation-optimization (S-O) modeling, an ecomically valuable groundwater management tool that couples simulation models with mathematical optimization techniques. Written for readers of varying familiarity with groundwater hydrology and mathematical optimization, the handbook approaches complex problems realistically. Its techniques have been applied in many legal settings, with produced strategies providing up to 57% improvement over those developed without S-O modeling. These techniques supply constructible designs, planning and management strategies, and metrics for performance-based contracts. Learn how to: Recognize opportunities for applying S-O models Lead client, agency, and consultant personnel through the strategy design and adaptation process Formulate common situations as clear deterministic/stochastic and single/multiobjective mathematical optimization problems Distinguish between problem nlinearities resulting from physical system characteristics versus management goals Create an S-O model appropriate for your specific needs or select an existing transferrable model Develop acceptable feasible solutions and compute optimal solutions Quantify tradeoffs between multiple objectives Evaluate and adapt a selected optimal strategy, or use it as a metric for comparison Drawing on the author's numerous real-world designs and more than 30 years of research, consulting, and teaching experience, this practical handbook supplies design procedures, detailed flowcharts, solved problems, lessons learned, and diverse applications. It guides you through the maze of multiple objectives, constraints, and uncertainty to calculate the best strategies for managing flow, contamination, and conjunctive use of groundwater and surface water. Ancillary materials are available from the Downloads tab on the book page at www.crcpress.com.
- Author BiographyRichard Peralta, PhD, PE, has used S-O modeling to design strategies for more than 20 sites or real-world projects. As a Utah Cooperative Extension Service water quality coordinator, he optimized nonpoint and point source contamination management, and collaborated with state and federal agencies in technology transfer and public education. Through the University of Arkansas, and subsequently Utah State University, private work, and the U.S. Air Force Reserve, he worked in 25 U.S. states and in numerous countries. For the military, he participated in and led many environmental contamination remediation evaluation teams and helped provide optimal solutions that were successfully implemented in the field. After several years of advising on environmental matters in the Pentagon, Colonel Peralta retired from the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a chief bioenvironmental engineer. He is a professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at Utah State University, consults privately, and is the distributor of SOMOS software. For more information, see Dr. Peralta's page at the College of Engineering at Utah State University. Contributing author Ineke M. Kalwij, PhD, PEng, collaborates with Dr. Peralta, working on groundwater optimization software development and publications. She also provides consulting services to clients, primarily in the area of groundwater system management. For more information, see Kalwij Water Dynamics Inc.
- Author(s)Richard C. Peralta
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication03/05/2012
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note202 black & white illustrations, 16 colour illustrations, 70 black & white tables
- Weight861 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.