All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis accessible new textbook provides a thorough introduction to all aspects of groundwater systems and their management. Using straightforward language and analogies to everyday experiences, it explains the origins, nature, and behavior of subsurface water without resorting to complicated mathematics. Groundwater in the Environment draws on case studies and cutting-edge research from around the world, giving a unique insight into groundwater occurring in a wide range of different climate zones and geological settings. This book: * provides a robust, practical introduction to groundwater quality, and a succinct summary of modern remedial techlogies for polluted groundwaters * explores how groundwater fits into the wider natural environment, especially in relation to freshwater ecosystems * considers the vulnerability of groundwater systems and the effects of pollution, climate change, land-use change, and overexploitation * examines human dependence on water and the effect that this has on groundwater systems * presents vivid examples of geohazards associated with ground waters * explains the whys and wherefores of groundwater modeling * examines competing philosophies of groundwater management, making the case for approaches which take social, ecomic and ecological issues into account. Goundwater in the Environment provides an up-to-date, essential introduction for undergraduate students of environmental sciences, geography and geology. It will also be invaluable to professionals working in various fields of natural resource management who need accessible information on groundwater but who are reluctant to read conventional texts full of mathematical tation. For practicing hydrogeologists and engineers without formal training in freshwater ecology, this book provides a 'crash course' in the new frontiers of groundwater management. Artwork from the book is available to instructors online at www.blackwellpublishing.com/younger. An Instructor manual CD-ROM for this title is available. Please contact our Higher Education team at HigherEducation@wiley.com for more information.
- Author BiographyPaul L. Younger (PhD C.Geol. C.Eng.) is HSBC Professor of Environmental Technologies at the University of Newcastle, United Kingdom, where he directs water research within the Institute for Research on Environment and Sustainability, and is also a Director of the leading groundwater control contracting company, Project Dewatering Ltd. His groundwater engineering experience spans more than 20 years and six continents, ranging from hand-digging water wells with indigenous communities in the Americas, through sophisticated numerical modelling of pollutant migration in aquifers, to the design of novel remediation systems for extremely contaminated groundwaters.
- Author(s)Paul L. Younger
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2006
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Content Note70
- Weight658 g
- Width190 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.