All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
About this product
- DescriptionAn authoritative, full-year course on both group theory and ordinary character theory--essential tools for mathematics and the physical sciences One of the few treatments available combining both group theory and character theory, Groups and Characters is an effective general textbook on these two fundamentally connected subjects. Presuming only a basic kwledge of abstract algebra as in a first-year graduate course, the text opens with a review of background material and then guides readers carefully through several of the most important aspects of groups and characters, concentrating mainly on finite groups. Challenging yet accessible, Groups and Characters features: An extensive collection of examples surveying many different types of groups, including Sylow subgroups of symmetric groups, affine groups of fields, the Mathieu groups, and symplectic groups A thorough, easy-to-follow discussion of Polya-Redfield enumeration, with applications to combinatorics Inclusive explorations of the transfer function and rmal complements, induction and restriction of characters, Clifford theory, characters of symmetric and alternating groups, Frobenius groups, and the Schur index Illuminating accounts of several computational aspects of group theory, such as the Schreier-Sims algorithm, Todd-Coxeter coset enumeration, and algorithms for generating character tables As valuable as Groups and Characters will prove as a textbook for mathematicians, it has broader applications. With chapters suitable for use as independent review units, along with a full bibliography and index, it will be a dependable general reference for chemists, physicists, and crystallographers.
- Author BiographyLARRY C. GROVE is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Arizona He is the author of Algebra and coauthor of Finite Reflection Groups.
- Author(s)Larry C. Grove
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication02/07/1997
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePure and Applied Mathematics: A Wiley Series of Texts, Monographs and Tracts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content Notetables, index
- Weight480 g
- Width168 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.