All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGabriel is a teenager who is severely autistic: he is completely unsocialized, is incontinent and is unable to speak. In this book his mother, with great honesty, describes what it is like to bring up an autistic child who requires constant care and exhibits challenging behaviour. Written partly in diary form, Growing Up Severely Autistic covers the minutiae of daily life with vivid immediacy, from preventing Gabriel eating the goldfish, to helping him through his grief on the death of his father. Gabriel's life and relationships with his family are traced from early childhood, through his school days to his entry into residential care at the age of 17. With affection and humour, Kate Rankin has written a personal and intimate study of someone who is very different from those around him, and who cant himself articulate his experiences.
- Author BiographyKate Rankin lives in Hertfordshire and is the mother of three sons, one of whom has severe autism.
- PrizesWinner of MIND Book of the Year/Allen Lane Award 2001.
- Author(s)Kate Rankin
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication01/05/2000
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.