All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs theoretical positions and as affective experiences, the twin currents of contrition - guilt and shame - permeate literary discourse and figure prominently in discussions of ethics, history, sexuality and social hierarchy. This collection of essays, on French and francophone prose, poetry, drama, visual art, cinema and thought, assesses guilt and shame in relation to structures of social morality, language and self-expression, the thinking of trauma, and the ethics of forgiveness. The authors approach their subjects via close readings and comparative study, drawing on such thinkers as Ador, Derrida, Jankelevitch and Irigaray. Through these they consider works ranging from the medieval Roman de la rose through to Gustave Moreau's Symbolist painting, Giacometti's sculpture, the films of Marina de Van and recent sub-Saharan African writing. The collection provides an etat-present of thinking on guilt and shame in French Studies, and is the first to assemble work on this topic ranging from the thirteenth to the twenty-first century. The book contains nine contributions in English and four in French.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Jenny Chamarette is a College Lecturer and Director of Studies in French at Murray Edwards College, Cambridge. She specialises in French and European cinema and time-based media, film and art theory, and twentieth-century French thought. Jennifer Higgins is a Junior Research Fellow at St Anne's College, Oxford. She specialises in nineteenth- and early twentieth-century French poetry, and particularly English responses to this poetry via translation.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- Languageeng, fre
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleModern French Identities
- Series Part/Volume Number79
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2009
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight330 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJenny Chamarette,Jenny Higgins
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.