All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSpanning the worlds of literature and the history profession, the Prussian velist and historian Gustav Freytag (1816-95) was influential in shaping opinion for his generation of liberals. Best kwn as the author of the popular vel <i>Soll und Haben</i> (1855), Freytag represented the views of a generation of National Liberals in the debate over Jewish assimilation, political reform in Prussia, and German unification. This new study places Freytag in his proper political and social context as a member of an elite of academic historians and liberal publicists who promoted German unification. Alongside colleagues like Theodor Mommsen and Heinrich von Treitschke, Freytag worked to create a progressive, Prussian historical myth for the new Germany. Although the author addresses Freytag s well-earned reputation for anti-Jewish prejudice, the primary focus of the work is to explore the mental world of a significant, but often overlooked, German historian. Focusing upon Gustav Freytag as a representative figure, this book explores the contribution of the German history profession to German liberalism and political culture.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Larry L. Ping is professor of European history at Southern Utah University. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Oregon in 1994.
- Author(s)Larry L. Ping
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/12/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleNorth American Studies in Nineteenth-century German Literature and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number37
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2006
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight530 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.