All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his monumental Ninth Symphony, one of Mahler's greatest and most popular works, the composer experimented with the four-movement symphonic form, producing a masterpiece of musical invation, satiric writing, and poetic drama, expressed in purely instrumental terms. Alban Berg described the first movement as the most glorious [the composer] ever wrote. By shaping each movement into an intensely personal narrative, Mahler brought fresh and formidable thinking to the entire structure of this invative masterpiece. Today, the symphony is a landmark of twentieth-century musical composition. The full orchestral score is reprinted here from the authoritative Universal-Edition, complete with bar-numbered movements for easy reference.Ideal for study in the classroom, at home, or in the concert hall, this affordable, high-quality, conveniently sized volume will be the edition of choice for music students and music lovers alike.
- Author BiographyAustrian composer and conductor Gustav Mahler (1860 1911) wrote chiefly symphonies and Lieder. Late Romantic in style, his tempestuous works reflect the anxious mood of Europe at the turn of the 20th century. Because of his Jewish roots, the composer'smusic was suppressed by the Nazis but has enjoyed a steady revival over the past five decades.
- Author(s)Gustav Mahler
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/09/2000
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.