All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays contained in this collection focus on the early H. G. Wells, the scientific romancer, the comic velist and the young author discovering the literary elite. Written at the crossroads of a new century, the authors of these essays use their own <i>fin-de-siecle</i> experiences to look back one hundred years and critically assess the writings of an earlier <i>fin-de-siecle</i>. With seven chapters dealing with <i>The Time Machine</i>, <i>The Wheels of Chance</i>, <i>The Island of Doctor Moreau</i>, <i>The War of the Worlds</i>, <i>To-Bungay</i> and <i>The History of Mr Polly</i>, readers receive a detailed overview of Wells s literary output between 1895 and 1910. Two further chapters treat Wells s literary friendships, assessing his personal and professional relationships with the Victorian realist, George Gissing, and the pioneering modernist, Joseph Conrad, while the final chapter reveals Wells as a time traveller, employing poststructuralist techniques fifty years before that expression was coined.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: John S. Partington is the editor of <i>The Wellsian</i>, the journal of the H. G. Wells Society. He is also the author of <i>Building Cosmopolis: The Political Thought of H. G. Wells</i>, and the editor of <i>The Wellsian: Selected Essays on H. G. Wells</i> and (with Patrick Parrinder) <i>The Reception of H. G. Wells in Europe</i>. He is currently editing <i>H. G. Wells in Nature, 1893-1946</i> and David C. Smith s <i>The Definitive Bibliography of Herbert George Wells</i>.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAlph: Arbeiten Zur Literarischen Phantastik Eine Schriftenreihe Der Universitat Leipzig
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight230 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byDr. John S. Partington
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.