All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHRM policies and practices need to cope with the dual responsibilities of providing a firm with the best employees to deliver improved financial performance, and a moral duty to these employees to provide a working environment that is equitable and encourages personal development. Many writers have emphasized the connection between sophisticated HRM techniques and financial competitiveness, but has this been at the expense of concepts such as fairness and legitimacy? This book adopts a broader perspective that takes into account t only the strategic dimension of HRM, but also the professional and societal dimension. It begins by examining the interaction of HRM, strategy, and performance, before putting this into an institutional context, where it is argued that successful HRM practice will be unique for each context in which it operates. It then develops a contextually-based human resource theory, able to examine and analyse HRM at an organizational, industry, national, and international level. This theory is applied to a number of cases of leading firms in both the USA and Europe. The book concludes by combining the empirical evidence of the case studies with the theoretical work of earlier chapters to develop a practical approach linking the different roles of HR to specific aspects of performance and developing a 4logic scorecard, which does full justice to the essence of HRM. Combining academic research with a focus on practical conclusions and recommendations, HRM and Performance will be challenging and invative reading for all involved in HRM: Academics, Researchers, MBA and graduate students, practitioners and consultants.
- Author BiographyJaap Paauwe is Professor of Business and Organization at the Rotterdam School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam. He has written and co-authored eleven books, and published numerous papers, on HRM, industrial relations, and organizational change. He has acted as guest editor for the International Journal of HRM, and the Human Resource Management Journal, and, along with colleagues from other Dutch universities, initiated the Dutch HRM Network.
- Author(s)Jaap Paauwe
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication17/06/2004
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous figures and tables
- Weight413 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.13
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.18
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.