All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHere is the ultimate book on the worldwide movement of hackers, pranksters, and activists that operates under the n-name Anymous, by the writer the Huffington Post says kws all of Anymous' deepest, darkest secrets. Half a dozen years ago, anthropologist Gabriella Coleman set out to study the rise of this global phemen just as some of its members were turning to political protest and dangerous disruption (before Anymous shot to fame as a key player in the battles over WikiLeaks, the Arab Spring, and Occupy Wall Street). She ended up becoming so closely connected to Anymous that the tricky story of her inside-outside status as An confidante, interpreter, and erstwhile mouthpiece forms one of the themes of this witty and entirely engrossing book. The narrative brims with details unearthed from within a toriously mysterious subculture, whose semi-legendary tricksters - such as Topiary, tflow, Anachaos, and Sabu - emerge as complex, diverse, politically and culturally sophisticated people.Propelled by years of chats and encounters with a multitude of hackers, including imprisoned activist Jeremy Hammond and the double agent who helped put him away, Hector Monsegur, Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy is filled with insights into the meaning of digital activism and little understood facets of culture in the Internet age, including the history of trolling, the ethics and metaphysics of hacking, and the origins and manifold meanings of the lulz.
- Author BiographyGabriella (Biella) Coleman holds the Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy at McGill University. Trained as a cultural anthropologist, she researches, writes, and teaches on computer hackers and digital activism. She is the author of Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking.
- Author(s)Gabriella Coleman
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication27/10/2015
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.