All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on social and cultural trends in present-day Hadrami Arab societies in Eastern and Central Indonesia, and the history of the Hadrami Arab people, which demonstrates an early form of globalization. For centuries migration has played a vital part in Hadrami adaptation. External forces, such as the expanding powers of the Portugese in the Indian Ocean and the Turkish conquering Yemen, and internal forces like poverty, droughts and political unrest as well as trading opportunities and missionary work instigated migration movements. While some Hadrami Arabs sought work in North America and Europe, other waves of Hadrami migration have followed the monsoon winds of the Indian Ocean to the Zanzibar coast, India, Malaysia and Indonesia. The story of Hadramis in Indonesia has largely been a story of success, in terms of trade, politics, education and religious activities. Despite continual debate regarding what constitutes Indonesian Hadrami identity, the author argues that they are still an Indonesia-oriented group with an Arab signature . This book will be of interest to Southeast Asian and Middle East specialists and scholars in Anthropology and Migration Studies.
- Author BiographyFrode F. Jacobsen is currently an Associate Professor at the Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care at the University of Bergen, Norway. He has a special interest in health issues, local forms of knowledge, and culture and migration.
- Author(s)Frode F. Jacobsen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/01/2016
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary Southeast Asia Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight267 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.