All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is synthetic or comprehensive treatment of any late Roman frontier in the English language to date, despite the political and ecomic significance of the frontiers in the late antique period. Examining Hadrian's Wall and the Roman frontier of rthern England from the fourth century into the Early Medieval period, this book investigates a late frontier in transition from an imperial border zone to incorporation into Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, using both archaeological and documentary evidence. With an emphasis on the late Roman occupation and Roman military, it places the frontier in the broader imperial context. In contrast to other works, Hadrian's Wall and the End of Empire challenges existing ideas of decline, collapse, and transformation in the Roman period, as well as its impact on local frontier communities. Author Rob Collins analyzes in detail the limitanei, the frontier soldiers of the late empire essential for the successful maintenance of the frontiers, and the relationship between imperial authorities and local frontier dynamics. Finally, the impact of the end of the Roman period in Britain is assessed, as well as the influence that the frontier had on the development of the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria.
- Author BiographyRob Collins is Lecturer in Archaeology at Newcastle University and Finds Liaison Officer for the Portable Antiquities Scheme at the Museum of Antiquities, Newcastle University and Durham County Council. He is editor of Debating Late Antiquity in Britain, AD 300-700 (with J. Gerrard, 2004) and Finds from the Frontier: Material Culture in the 4th and 5th Centuries (with L. Allason-Jones, 2009).
- Author(s)Rob Collins
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/05/2011
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Archaeology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note50 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white tables, 38 black & white halftones
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.