All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis selected works of Sorley MacLean brings together published poetry from MacLean's own edited volumes of Poetry. The poems will be given in their original Gaelic with English translations and introduced by Angus Peter Campbell and Aonghas Mac Neacail. Sorley MacLean was born on the island of Raasay in 1911. He was brought up within a family and community immersed in Gaelic language and culture, particularly song. He studied English at Edinburgh University from 1929, taking a first-class hours degree. Despite this influence, he eventually adopted Gaelic as the medium most appropriate for his poetry. He translated much of his own work into English, opening it up to a wider public. He fought in North Africa during World War II, before taking up a career in teaching, holding posts on Mull, in Edinburgh and finally as Head Teacher at Plockton High School. Amongst other awards and hours, he received the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry in 1990. He died in 1996 at the age of 85.
- Author BiographyAngus Peter Campbell (Aonghas Padraig Caimbeul) is an award-winning poet and novelist in both Gaelic and English, journalist, broadcaster and actor. Born and brought up on the Island of South Uist he now lives on the Isle of Skye with his wife and family. His Gaelic novel An Oidhche mus do Sheol Sinn (2004) was shortlisted for the Saltire Scottish Book of the Year and was voted by the public into the Top 10 of the 100 Best Ever Books from Scotland in the Orange/List magazine awards. Aonghas MacNeacail was born in Uig on Skye in 1942. He is a poet and songwriter, journalist, researcher, broadcaster, scriptwriter and filmmaker. He has published collections of poems in both Gaelic and English, and his writing has appeared in literary journals in Scotland and worldwide. He was winner of the 2006 Gaelic Prize of the Wigtown Poetry Competition for his poem 'An fhior bheinn', and in 2007 was among the prize-winners of the major Ireland-based Strokestown International Poetry Competition.
- Author(s)Angus Peter Campbell,Aonghas MacNeacail,Sorley Maclean
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication14/11/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.