All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1823, Sir Henry Bunbury discovered a badly bound volume of twelve Shakespeare plays in a closet of his mar house. Nearly all of the plays were first editions, but one stood out as extraordinary: a previously unkwn text of Hamlet that predated all other versions. Suddenly, the world had to grapple with a radically new-or rather, old-Hamlet in which the characters, plot, and poetry of Shakespeare's most famous play were profoundly and strangely transformed. Q1, as the text is kwn, has been declared a rough draft, a shorthand piracy, a memorial reconstruction, and a pre-Shakespearean ur-Hamlet, among other things. Flickering between two historical moments-its publication in Shakespeare's early seventeenth century and its rediscovery in Bunbury's early nineteenth-Q1 is both the first and last Hamlet. Because this text became widely kwn only after the familiar version of the play had reached the pinnacle of English literature, its reception has entirely depended on this uncanny temporal oscillation; so too has its ongoing influence on twentieth- and twenty-first-century ideas of the play. Zachary Lesser examines how the improbable discovery of Q1 has forced readers to reconsider accepted truths about Shakespeare as an author and about the nature of Shakespeare's texts. In telling the story of this mysterious quarto and tracing the debates in newspapers, London theaters, and scholarly journals that followed its discovery, Lesser offers brilliant new insights on what we think we mean when we talk about Hamlet.
- Author BiographyZachary Lesser is Professor of English at the University of Pennsylvania and author of Renaissance Drama and the Politics of Publication: Readings in the English Book Trade.
- Author(s)Zachary Lesser
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleMaterial Texts
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Note27 illus.
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.