All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Handbook of Biomedical Nonlinear Optical Microscopies provides comprehensive treatment of the theories, techniques, and biomedical applications of nlinear optics and microscopy for cell biologists, life scientists, biomedical engineers, and clinicians. The chapters are separated into basic and advanced sections, and provide both textual and graphical illustrations of all key concepts. The more basic sections are aimed at life scientists without advanced training in physics and mathematics, and tutorials are provided for the more challenging sections. The first part of the Handbook introduces the historical context of nlinear microscopy. The second part presents the nlinear optical theory of two- and multiphoton excited fluorescence (TPE, MPE) spectroscopy, second and third harmonic generation (SHG, THG) spectroscopy, and coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy (CARS). The third part introduces modern microscopic and spectroscopic instrumentation and techniques that are based on nlinear optics. The fourth part provides key applications of nlinear microscopy to the biomedical area: neurobiology, immulogy, tumor biology, developmental biology, dermatology, and cellular metabolism. There are also chapters on nlinear molecular probes, cellular damage, and naprocessing.
- Author BiographyProfessor Peter T. C. So is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Biological Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA. He received a B.S. degree in physics and mathematics in 1986 from the Harvey Mudd College and a Ph.D. degree in physics in 1992 from Princeton University. Professor So joined MIT as a faculty member in 1996. Professor So has published over 75 research papers in refereed journals, over 30 refereed conference proceedings, many book chapters, and numerous scientific abstracts. He is also the co-inventor of five patents related to microscopy and instrumentation. Barry R. Masters is a visiting scientist in the Department of Biological Engineeringat the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a visiting scholar in the Departmentof the History of Science at Harvard University. He was formerly a professor in anatomy at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He is a Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA), the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Professor Masters has published 81 refereed research papers and 128 book chapters and articles. He is the editor or author of Noninvasive Diagnostic Techniques in Ophthalmology; Medical Optical Tomography: Functional Imaging and Monitoring; Selected Papers on Confocal Microscopy; Selected Papers on Optical Low-Coherence Reflectometry and Tomography; Selected Papers on Multiphoton Excitation Microscopy; Confocal Microscopy and Multiphoton Excitation Microscopy: the Genesis of Live Cell Imaging; and with Peter So, Handbook of Biomedical Nonlinear Optical Microscopy. Professor Masters is a member of the editorial board of Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. His research interests include the development of in vivo microscopy of the human eye and skin, biomedical imaging and spectroscopy, and the fractal analysis of branching vascular patterns.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note74 colour and 195 b&w line illustrations
- Weight2313 g
- Width185 mm
- Height261 mm
- Spine49 mm
- Edited byBarry R. Masters,Peter So
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.