All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionHappiness is the long-anticipated debut collection from Jack Underwood. These bright, beguiling poems worry at the world, surreally exploring the 'reservoir of wrong headed questions' with which love and death confront us. Readers will meet life's strangeness half-way in poems where a childhood horse and recent lover look through a photo album together; where 'sadness is a yacht...an anvil dropped from heaven'; fear for a future child is 'a fizz building in a bad grey egg'; a beef steak is 'a question, hung in itself, about blood', and love is someone 'pausing to move a snail somewhere safer in the rain'. In the unpredictable world of these inventive poems, visualisation becomes an empathetic act, a means of sharing the 'fearful and forgotten things' we lie to ourselves about. Happiness is a collection preoccupied with the ephemerality of happiness itself, at the ever-present possibility of its departure, and the ways we try to grasp and keep hold of it. Self-aware and sad, daring and funny, this is an accomplished and memorable debut from a distinct new voice.
- Author BiographyJack Underwood was born in Norwich in 1984. He graduated from Norwich School of Art and Design in 2005 before completing an MA and PhD in Creative Writing at Goldsmiths College, where he now teaches English Literature and Creative Writing. He won an Eric Gregory Award in 2007 and Faber published his debut pamphlet in 2009 as part of the Faber New Poet series. He also teaches at the Poetry School, co-edits the anthology series Stop Sharpening Your Knives, and reviews for Poetry London and Poetry Review.
- Author(s)Jack Underwood
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication02/07/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Weight90 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.