Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on physically demanding occupations that require strength and stamina as conditions of safe, productive and career-long job performance. The perspective is that of the exercise scientist, who studies the physiological responses to arduous work, constructs tests of work capacity, designs training programmes to enhance performance and provides nutrition, hydration and other support. This book attempts to dispel misconceptions, simplify complex ideas and provide an approach for making intelligent and informed employment decisions that will result in a safer, healthier and more productive work force. It looks at the job, the worker and legal aspects of employment, focuses on test development and validation, shows how tests are used in employee selection and considers employee health and performance.The book also looks at job-related issues and includes case studies that illustrate the positives and the negatives of employee selection and physical maintenance in demanding occupations.
- Author BiographyBrian Sharkey has nearly 40 years of experience as a leading fitness researcher, educator and author. Sharkey served as director of the University of Montana's Human Performance Laboratory for many years and remains associated with the university and lab as professor emeritus. Paul O. Davis is the president of the First Responder Institute in Burtonsville, Maryland, where he has conducted job standards development for hundreds of organisations, including the United States Marine Corps, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the US Department of Homeland Security.
- Author(s)Brian J. Sharkey,Paul O. Davis
- PublisherHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Date of Publication01/02/2008
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationChampaign
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2008
- ImprintHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Content Note58 black & white illustrations, 73 black & white halftones
- Weight934 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18 To 99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.