All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BCE-65 CE) was a Roman Stoic philosopher, dramatist, statesman, and advisor to the emperor Nero, all during the Silver Age of Latin literature. The Complete Works of Lucius Annaeus Seneca is a fresh and compelling series of new English-language translations of his works in eight accessible volumes. Edited by Elizabeth Asmis, Shadi Bartsch, and Martha C. Nussbaum, this engaging collection helps restore Seneca--whose works have been highly praised by modern authors from Desiderius Erasmus to Ralph Waldo Emerson--to his rightful place among the classical writers most widely studied in the humanities. <i>Hardship and Happiness</i> collects a range of essays intended to instruct, from consolations--works that offer comfort to someone who has suffered a personal loss--to pieces on how to achieve happiness or tranquility in the face of a difficult world. Expertly translated, the essays will be read and used by undergraduate philosophy students and experienced scholars alike.
- Author Biography<b>Elaine Fantham </b>was the Giger Professor of Latin at Princeton University from 1986 to 1999. She has written many books and commentaries on Latin literature, including Seneca's <i>Troades</i>. <b>Harry M. Hine</b> is professor emeritus in the School of Classics at the University of St Andrews in Scotland and the translator of Seneca's <i>Natural Questions</i>, also in the series. <b>James Ker</b> is associate professor of classical studies at the University of Pennsylvania and the editor of <i>A Seneca Reader: Selections from Prose and Tragedy</i>. <b>Gareth D. Williams</b> is the Violin Family Professor of Classics at Columbia University and the author of many books, including <i>The Cosmic Viewpoint: A Study of Seneca's Natural Questions</i>.
- Author(s)Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication22/03/2016
- Series TitleThe Complete Works of Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Translated byElaine Fatham,Harry M. Hine,James Ker,Gareth D. Williams
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.