All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionThis unique text is an introduction to harmonic analysis on the simplest symmetric spaces, namely Euclidean space, the sphere, and the Poincare upper half plane. This book is intended for beginning graduate students in mathematics or researchers in physics or engineering. Written with an informal style, the book places an emphasis on motivation, concrete examples, history, and, above all, applications in mathematics, statistics, physics, and engineering. Many corrections and updates have been incorporated in this new edition. Updates include discussions of P. Sarnak and others' work on quantum chaos, the work of T. Sunada, Marie-France Vigneras, Carolyn Gordon, and others on Mark Kac's question Can you hear the shape of a drum? , A. Lubotzky, R. Phillips and P. Sarnak's examples of Ramanujan graphs, and, finally, the author's comparisons of continuous theory with the finite analogues. Topics featured throughout the text include inversion formulas for Fourier transforms, central limit theorems, Poisson's summation formula and applications in crystallography and number theory, applications of spherical harmonic analysis to the hydrogen atom, the Radon transform, n-Euclidean geometry on the Poincare upper half plane H or unit disc and applications to microwave engineering, fundamental domains in H for discrete groups ?, tessellations of H from such discrete group actions, automorphic forms, and the Selberg trace formula and its applications in spectral theory as well as number theory.
- Author BiographyAudrey Anne Terras is currently Professor Emerita of Mathematics at the University of California at San Diego.
- Author(s)Audrey Terras
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/09/2013
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note51 black & white illustrations, 32 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight806 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd ed. 2013
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.