All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis title presents a superbly illustrated and insightful examination of the life and works of Harry Smith, one of America's most significant post-war creative talents. Filmmaker, musicologist, painter, ethgrapher, graphic designer, mystic, and collector of string figures and other patterns, Harry Smith (1923-1991) was among the most original creative forces to emerge in post-war American art and culture, yet his life, work, and legacy remain poorly understood. Today he is remembered primarily for his Anthology of American Folk Music (1952) - an idiosyncratic collection of early recordings that educated and inspired a generation of musicians and roots music fans - and for a body of invative abstract and n-narrative films. Featuring contributions from ted scholars, critics, and historians - including Paul Arthur, Robert Cantwell, Thomas Crow, Stephen Freidman, Greil Marcus, and P. Adams Sitney - as well as a selection of Smith's works, letters, and other primary sources, this volume offers an insightful exploration of Smith's entire oeuvre within the history of avant-garde art production in twentieth century America.
- Author BiographyAndrew Perchuck is assistant director for Contemporary Programs and Research at the Getty Research Institute. Rani Singh is senior research associate in Contemporary Programs and Research at the Getty Research Institute and the director of the Harry Smith Archives.
- Author(s)Andrew Perchuk
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Research Institute,U.S.
- Content Note39 colour & 53 b&w illustrations
- Weight882 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRani Singh
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.