Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionHawai'i is in many ways the most unique of the American states. Distinguished by its unusual beauty, ethnic diversity, and lingering image as a paradise, Hawai'i is special for other important, but less apparent, reasons. It is the only American state to have evolved from a kingdom, the only state with jurisdictions below the level of county, the only state in which Caucasians have never been in the majority, and the only state whose historic identity and contemporary relationships are as much with Asia and the Pacific as with the rest of the United States. The nature and trajectory of Hawaiian politics spring from the interaction of these unique elements with more traditional American cultural practices, institutions, and political processes. Also shaping past and present politics are multiple collisions among Native Hawaiians, western missionaries and businessmen, and Asian immigrants. Hawai'i Politics and Government brings together information on historical development, ethnic relations, public institutions, political culture, and current issues to discover both the similarities and the differences between Hawai'i and the rest of the country.
- Author BiographyRichard C. Pratt is the director of the Public Administration Program at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa and coeditor of Politics and Public Policy in Hawai'i. Zachary Smith is a professor of social and behavioral science at Northern Arizona University. He is the author or editor of several books, including Politics and Public Policy in Arizona.
- Author(s)Richard C. Pratt,Zachary A. Smith
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2000
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitlePolitics & Governments of the American States Series
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.