All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeople with learning disabilities are affected by significantly more health problems than the general population and are much more likely to have significant health risks. Yet evidence suggests they are t receiving the same level of health education and health promotion opportunities as other members of society. This important, interdisciplinary book is aimed at increasing professional awareness of the importance of health promotion activities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Written by an international board of experts, it is a thorough and comprehensive guide for students, professionals and carers. The book considers a variety of challenges faced by those with intellectual disabilities, from physical illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy and sexual health issues, through to issues such as addiction, mental health and ageing. Contributors: Jim Blair, Penny Blake, Malin Broberg, Michael Brown, Eddie Chaplin, Bob Davies, Gillian Eastgate, Paul Fleming, Dora Fisher, Linda Goddard, Tamar Heller, John Heng, Thas Karatzias, Mike Kerr, Nick Lenx, Tadhg MacIntyre, Beth Marks, Jane McCarthy,Judith Moyle,Karen Nankervis,Ruth Northway, Joseph O'Grady, Renee Proulx, Janet Robertson, Cathy Ross, Jasmina Sisirak, Eamonn Slevin, David S Stewart, William F. Sullivan, Beverley Temple, Hana Valkova , Henny van Schrojenstein Lantman-de Valk. I highly recommend this book to anyone working directly with people with an intellectual disability as well as professionals, academics and students who strive to promote issues and improve the lives of people with intellectual disabilities and their families. Agnes Lunny OBE, Chief Executive of Positive Futures, Northern Ireland The editors and authors have done practitioners a great favour in bringing together in one volume a comprehensive account of how children and adults with intellectual disabilities can be supported to lead healthier lives. Roy McConkey, Professor of Developmental Disabilities, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland This timely and important book synthesises current kwledge about health promotion interventions for people with intellectual disabilities. Written by leading researchers and practitioners, it should be on the bookshelves of everyone concerned with addressing the stark inequalities in health experienced by people with intellectual disabilities around the world. Eric Emerson, Professor of Disability Population Health, University of Sydney, Australia and Emeritus Professor of Disability and Health Research, Lancaster University, UK This book is current and different from other textbooks I have used before. The book is pitched at a very easy to understand level and any healthcare professional or student working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities can use it. The content is very up to date and relevant. The use of comprehensive authors with differing backgrounds demonstrates the textbook has a wide range of expertise and kwledge packed into it that makes the book very relevant learning disabilities practice. I will definitely be recommending this textbook to undergraduate nursing students in Learning Disabilities. Dorothy Kupara - Lecturer in Learning Disabilities Nursing, University of West London.
- Author BiographyLaurence Taggart is a registered nurse for people with intellectual disabilities and a nursing lecturer. He is leader of the Research Centre for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities at the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland. Wendy Cousins is a chartered psychologist and an associate fellow of the British Psychological Society. She is a member of the Research Centre for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities at the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland where she is course director for degree programmes in health and wellbeing.
- Author(s)Laurence Taggart,Wendy Cousins
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight1 g
- Width68 mm
- Height95 mm
- Spine5 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.94
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.