All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.32
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.50
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
About this product
- DescriptionWidespread obesity, poor nutrition, sleep-deprivation, and highly digital and sedentary lifestyles are just a few of the many challenges facing young people. Although public schools in the United States have the potential for meeting these challenges on a mass scale, they are slow to respond. The emphasis on discrete subject areas and standardized test performance offers little in the way of authentic learning and may in reality impede health. Healthy Teens, Healthy Schools: How Media Literacy Education can Renew Education in the United States reframes health education as a complex terrain that resides within a larger ecosystem of historical, social, political, and global ecomic forces. It calls for a media literate pedagogy that empowers students to be critical consumers, creative producers, and responsible citizens. This book illustrates holistic health education through school-community initiatives and invative partnerships that are successful in magnifying all curriculum subjects and their associated teaching practices. Vanessa Domine offers teachers, teacher educators, school administrators, community organizers, public health professionals, and policy makers with a transmedia and transdisciplinary educational approach to adolescent health to demonstrate how our collective focus on cultivating healthy teens will ultimately yield healthy schools.
- Author BiographyVanessa Domine is associate professor in the Department of Secondary and Special Education at Montclair State University and the author of Rethinking Technology in Schools. She holds a doctorate in Media Ecology from New York University and is interested in how media and technology can support democratic practices in education.
- Author(s)Vanessa Elaine Domine
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLanham
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Education
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight399 g
- Width163 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.