All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionHearst Ranch: Family, Land and Legacy by Victoria Kastner will be Abrams' third book about the spectacular 85,000-acre property upon which newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst built the legendary Hearst Castle and its town, San Simeon. W. H. Randolph's 150th birthday is in 2013 (April 29, 1863), the perfect year for the publication of this third volume. The first book was about the castle; the second about the gardens and the town on the property, San Simeon; w Hearst Ranch tells the story about one remarkable family's 150-year love affair with the ranching life at San Simeon, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the spectacular landscape surrounding the castle and town, including an 80,000-acre cattle ranch, organic farm and vineyard. This book will explore the places Hearst Castle visitors never see, such as Julia Morgan's beautiful ranch buildings and the backcountry of one of the world's most gorgeous landscapes, which includes close to 13 miles of California coastline. The working ranch and farm has been organic and self-sustainable since 1999; the meat of the grass-fed Black Angus cattle is sold through Whole Foods and to such prestigious restaurants as Alice Water's Chez Panisse. There is also a new vineyard, and as of last year, wine tastings are w held in San Simeon. This book is the pet project of Steve Hearst, great-grandson of W. R. Hearst.
- Author BiographyVictoria Kastner is Hearst Castle's historian and has written and lectured about San Simeon's land and buildings for nearly thirty years. She is the author of Abrams' Hearst Castle: The Biography of a Country House (2000) and Hearst's San Simeon: The Gardens and the Land (2009). She lives in Los Osos, California. Stephen Hearst, the great grandson of William Randolph Hearst, is vice president and general manager of Western Properties in the Hearst Corporation.
- Author(s)Victoria Kastner
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- Content Note250 colour and black-and-white photographs
- Weight1724 g
- Width229 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith translucent dust cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.