All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLindberg, an accomplished local historian and true crime writer, presents a fascinating story of two contemporaneous serial killers, both weaving marriage and murder in and around Chicago during the 1890s and 1900s. Johann Hoch was a debonair bigamist and wife killer who boasted of having perfected a scientific technique to romance and seduction. Belle Gunness was a nesting Black Widow whose sprawling farm in Northwest Indiana was a fatal lure for lonely bachelors seeking the comforts of middle-age security by answering matrimonial advertisements placed by Gunness.Notorious in his own day, Hoch had faded into the dark background of Chicago crime history. But, in Heartland Serial Killers, Lindberg brings back vividly the horrors of one of Chicago s first celebrity criminals and uncovers new evidence of a close connection between Hoch and H.H. Holmes, the Devil in the White City. Unlike Hoch, Belle Gunness, likely the most prolific and infamous female serial killer of the 20th century, has remained fascinating to the public. Here, Lindberg presents the most comprehensive and compelling study of the Gunness case to date, including new information regarding ongoing DNA testing of remains found at the site of Gunness s farm in LaPorte, Indiana, which may serve to resolve once and for all the mystery surrounding Gunness s death.Told in alternating chapters and rapidly paced, this book is true crime at its best gripping, pulpy, and full of sharp historical tidbits. True crime fans, history buffs, and those interested in local lore will delight in this chilling tale of two ruthless killers.
- Author BiographyRichard C. Lindberg is the author of 15 books on crime, Chicago, and sports. He is the team historian of the Chicago White Sox and regularly leads tours for the Chicago History Museum. A much sought-after expert on true crime, he has appeared in numerous documentaries and on such national media outlets as The NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, The CBS Evening News, and All Things Considered.
- Author(s)Richard C Lindberg
- PublisherNorthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2011
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthern Illinois University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width160 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.16
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.